How to Become a Freelance Web Designer
You are most probably reading this article because you wanted to know How to become a Freelance web designer ? You came to the right place. I wrote this article to help people who wants be a freelance web designer or developer or the combination of both, as a freelance web designer first thing I want to say is that to be good at design and code and becoming a freelancer is not the same, to become a successful freelancer one needs to learn many things. Starting as freelance web designer and developer is the combination of three things, Design, Code and Entrepreneurship.
Getting good grasp on these three things can lead you to become a successful freelance web designer.
I am sure you already have number of reasons for choosing freelancing for your career. Here’s the list of pros and cons of freelancing.
- Being your own boss: You can work whenever and wherever you want. You can work all night or all day. Feel free to decide how you want to complete your project.
- Freedom to choose your own rate and project:You can choose your own rate however you want per hour or per project. You can also choose what kind of project you want.
- The chance to work with more interesting projects: You will get more opportunity to work with interesting clients.
- Earn more: You can earn more and more as your experience and expertise grows. It’s all up to you how much work you are getting and how much time you are investing to deliver the project.
- No steady income: Income won’t be fixed, in the beginning and sometimes you may earn less money.
However weight of pros is more than cons. So now the important questions is How do I become a freelance web designer?
Here’s I have listed down all the task that one needs to be completed in order to become a freelance web designer or developer.
1. Learn as much as you can
First step for you is to learn programming languages and design fundamentals. Web development requires many programming languages so start with most common language like PHP and keep learning more, it will give you more projects. Learn a CMS, many clients requires a CMS to edit their website on their own. If you don’t know any CMS than you may get less projects.
2. Become an expert
Practice as much as you can, if you don’t have any projects than become a client of yourself and give yourself projects. Because you don’t want to disappoint a client because of lack of knowledge and practice.
3. Keep your document ready
Register your business in whichever state your living. Prepare a format of the contracts and proposal, so you can use them in your every project.
4. Make a portfolio website
Create a professional appealing website to increase online reach. Design and build your portfolio website on your own. You can take inspirations from other websites but never copy anything. Make your search engine optimization strong, better SEO means you will get more leads. For more information Read Actionable SEO Tips
5. Be organized
Setting up a schedule is a huge part of freelancing. It is a very important step to becoming a freelance web designer. A freelancer needs to find how much time it takes to complete a task.
You can use these time management tools to become more organized.
6. Create profile on social networking sites:
Promote your portfolio and projects on social networking sites. Best platform to consider are:
7. Keep learning
Be up to date with trending technologies and design. Improve your skills with every project you complete.
Hopefully this guideline help you succeed on your freelancing journey. Freelancing in web design and development is exciting. Freelancing in web design and development requires design, development and entrepreneurship. Making yourself expert in all three means success as a freelance web designer.
If you find this article helpful then please leave a comment.